Celebrated since 1926, World Thinking Day is a day of international friendship, speaking out on issues that affect girls and young women, and fundraising for 10 million Girl Guides and Girl Scouts around the world.
We’re pleased to announce that the theme for World Thinking Day 2017 is ‘Grow’!
In 2017, we’d like to grow the World Thinking Day celebrations, and invite more girls and young women around the world to experience what it means to be part of the Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting Movement! The World Thinking Day Challenge for 2017 will be a journey of growth, guiding Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting groups as we introduce our Movement to new members.
The theme and activity pack will be designed to fit with the WAGGGS strategy to ‘Connect, Grow, Impact’. In 2016, we celebrated the meaningful connections we share as a Movement, and now it’s time to grow and connect with more. The activity pack will create a fun way to engage in the World Thinking Day 2017 celebrations and earn your challenge badge, and be a guide for growth for groups, with innovative ideas of how to bring new members to Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting.
We listened to your feedback in 2016, and the new resource will:
- Aim for groups to earn the World Thinking Day badge in a 1-2 hour meeting
- Pilot the activities with young people and leaders from around the world
- Be published online in a print-friendly format in English, French, Spanish and Arabic
- Be sent in a text-only format to Member Organizations for translation late in July 2016 (This will be embargoed)
- Launch online in English, French, Spanish and Arabic at the end of August 2016
Take part in an exciting adventure and grow our World Thinking Day celebrations!
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for making this year’s World Thinking Day celebrations such a success! We've received hundreds of cards and well-wishes, and we know that more than 90 countries participated in the #Connect10Million activities. We are delighted to see so many of you taking part, ninety years on, and keeping this tradition and the Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting spirit alive.
World Thinking Day 2016 in numbers:
- A record number of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts celebrated WTD in 90
- 53,000 pack downloads in English, French, Spanish and Arabic.
- The #Connect10Million hashtag provided 10.4 million timeline deliveries.
- 14,319 #Connect10Million frame profile photos in social media
- According to feedback from 60 Member Organizations, the top words describing the resource were: creative , educational , flexible , interesting , entertaining and international.
- Partner engagement - UPS sponsored the delivery of our activity packs to all 146 countries and the World Centres.
- An 88% increase in WTD merchandise sales, with 100,000 badges sold.
What do we do on World Thinking Day?
- Celebrate World Thinking Day and be one in ten Million!
- Be inspired by the history and impact of our global Movement
- Connect with the worldwide sisterhood of Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting
- Take action and speak out on issues we most care about
- Make a difference by fundraising for projects around the world