South Africa - May 2015
26 participants from 14 English speaking Member Organizations in the Africa Region working on strengthening the Girl experience.
This Prepared to Learn, Prepared to Lead workshop took place from 9 to 13 May 2015 at Khiyalami, the national training centre of Girl Guides South Africa and for this week, a Fifth World Centre. 26 leaders with responsibility for the Girl Guide and Girl Scout experience in 14 English speaking countries in the Africa Region came together, supported by a team of volunteers and staff from WAGGGS, including World Board member Michelle February.
Participants explored key themes affecting the quality of the Girl Guide and Girl Scout experience in depth such as building educational frameworks, building a girl-led programme, and integrating WAGGGS initiatives. They also practiced developing a theory of change so they can describe the impact of the Girl Guide and Girl Scout experience on young people, and planned how to build new teams to focus on this area of work in their Member Organizations.
- Of the 26 participants, 1/3 were under 30 years old
- 14 Member Organisations participated in the workshop
- Participants committed to sharing their learning with 8,000 leaders and trainers
- As leaders, the participants work with approximately 700 girls on a regular basis
- Participants committed to ensuring 200,000 girls would benefit from the impact of the training
All participants returned home with a concrete action plan of how to:
- Share their learning as Girl Guide and Girl Scout experience ambassadors in their Association
- Take action to strengthen the Girl Guide or Girl Scout experience in their Association.
The workshop achieved its purpose 80% - because the last 20% is up to us, applying what we learned