Number of Girl Guides in 2017
On my honour (and with the grace of God)‡; I undertake to do my best to fulfil my duties towards (God, the Church and)‡ my country, To help other people in all circumstances, And to keep the Guide Law.
Burundi Guide Law
- A Guide is truthful, she can be trusted.
- A Guide is faithful, she keeps her promises.
- A Guide makes herself useful and helps others.
- A Guide is a friend to all and a sister to every other Guide.
- A Guide is courteous.
- A Guide loves and respects nature (work of God)‡.
- A Guide obeys cheerfully and does nothing by halves.
- A Guide is always good-tempered and is courageous under difficulties.
- A Guide is thrifty and respects other people’s belongings.
- A Guide is unaffected and pure.
I promise to be faithful to (Jesus,)‡ my parents, the Wagtail Law, and To do a good turn to someone every day.
The Wagtail listens to the fully fledged birds.
The Wagtail does not pay too much attention to herself.
Development of the movement
Guiding in Burundi was started in 1954-55 by Belgian social workers as part of the Catholic Guides of Belgian Congo, Rwanda-Urundi. After the country’s independence in 1962, an Association was formed which has since grown steadily.