Number of Girl Guides in 2016
I promise on my honour to do my best: To do my duty to God and my nation; To help other people at all times; And to obey the Guide Law.
Tanzania Guide Law
- A Guide’s honour is to be trusted
- A Guide is a good citizen
- A Guide’s duty is to be useful and help others
- A Guide is a friend to all and a sister to every other Guide
- A Guide is courteous
- A Guide is kind to animals and all creation
- A Guide obeys orders cheerfully
- A Guide is courageous and cheerful
- A Guide is thrifty
- A Guide is pure in thought, word and deed
I promise to do my best: To do my duty to God and my nation; To help other people every day especially those at home.
- A Brownie respects her elders
- A Brownie thinks of others before herself
Development of the Movement
The first Guide company started in the former East African State of Tanganyika in 1928, but it was not until 1935 that Guiding became firmly established, following the visit in the same year of the Founder and the World Chief Guide. In 1938 a territorial council and local Association were formed, and from 1940 to 1950 Guiding spread to all areas of the country. The first executive committee was formed in 1957. In 1964 the independent states of Tanganyika and Zanzibar united as the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Association was renamed.