Volunteering is at the very core of Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting. The movement is led and run by volunteers who work continuously to empower girls and women, supporting them to develop their fullest potential and contributing to make the world a better place to live for generations to come. Many of our Member Organisations have a great impact thanks to the work of volunteers, and so does WAGGGS.
In WAGGGS, volunteers lead the Organisation (you elect them at our governance events) and run it. They work with you on capacity building, they design learning content and facilitate it at online and offline events, they increase our reach by creating communication content and they make WAGGGS more accessible by translating in the 4 official languages. You know that this list is far from being exhaustive, and WAGGGS could not work with you as we want to without the support of volunteers.
Global Volunteering is a great opportunity for personal growth and connection with the wider movement. In their roles, volunteers have incredible learning opportunities and can practice leadership and global competencies. To increase accessibility, we created a pool of volunteers, and we work with them on an online platform to facilitate the growth of a network of global and regional volunteers.
Why do we need a volunteer pool?
- We want to be inclusive, transparent, and fair. Having a pool enables us to have ongoing recruitment. Thus, all you have to do to increase the opportunities to access an international experience for your adult members is advertise the pool and endorse adults you think can behave accordingly to WAGGGS values in a highly diverse, international, and digital context.
- We need to be agile. We are often compelled to advertise opportunities with a very short turnaround. Having a pool of already endorsed volunteers enables us to recruit them easily, and to have a diverse team.
- Through this pool, we were able to set up a standard process for recruiting volunteers with very clear criteria that all regional and global teams follow when they have a need to recruit. We offer more opportunities to more young women, avoiding as much as possible the situation in which one person holds multiple major roles.
- Many MOs have told us that volunteering with WAGGGS globally and regionally is a valued retention opportunity for leaders, and we want to increase access to this opportunity. When you endorse an adult member to be on the volunteer network you give them an opportunity to experience international Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting. We want to offer these volunteers space where they can connect, share their experiences and learn from the experiences of others, build relationships, make new friendships and increase their and your capacity to feel connected to the movement.
- We want volunteers to benefit from a more consistent experience, with improved information management, more opportunities to work cross-regionally, better support for volunteers who speak French, Spanish, and Arabic, ongoing development opportunities, and a better system to express interest in different projects.
- Through this pool, we have an overview of what all the volunteers do on a regional and global scale. This allows us to recognise their work, to emphasise the impact of their volunteering, and to do a good follow-up, mentoring, and evaluation of our projects.
- We want to provide volunteers with learning and development opportunities. Being part of this pool allows them to have access to these opportunities and to benefit their Member Organisations by cascading their learning at the national or local level.
WAGGGS is committed to putting in place all the tools, processes, and procedures to ensure offering a great volunteer experience to your leaders.
We have a standard process for joining WAGGGS’ volunteer resource pool. Please read the information sheet, the terms of reference for the volunteer pool for more details, and use the recommendation form to propose new volunteers for the pool.
If you have any questions or comments regarding this process, and to share your recommendation and endorsement forms, please write to us at email@example.com
Samantha Yarmiy, Canada Girl Guides
I love volunteering for WAGGGS because I've been able to learn facilitation tools that work not only on a local level but also on a global level. Through volunteering for WAGGGS I've been able to meet people from all over the world and develop lifelong friendships!
María José Gallardo Pérez, Chile Asociación de Guías y Scouts de Chile
In my journey I have surely motivated others with my actions and stories, we will never know how far we can touch other hearts, what I am sure is that during this year of volunteering I have gone further and higher challenging myself again and again, having the certainty that we all have our place.
Micaela Lagoria, Asociación Guias Argentinas
Being a volunteer for WAGGGS is a way to discover the world and to be in contact with girl guides from other countries. It gives me the opportunity to contribute to the leadership of girls and young women who are part of the movement. I volunteered at my Member Organisation in the Western Hemisphere Region and I also volunteered at a World Centre (twice). Now, I am a global volunteer as a CAT Assistant and with the translator & interpreters team.