The Sangam community programme offers participants a unique, high quality volunteer experience. Tare means ‘star’ in Hindi. As part of the community programme, you become 'stars' of the Sangam family.
Apply to be a 'Tare'
Our Community Programme is open to all. However, you must be 18 or older and have basic conversational English.
We also expect applicants to demonstrate maturity, reliability, independence, self motivation, flexibility, adaptability, commitment to service, learning and an openness to other cultures.
Applications and references are accepted all year. Check the programme dates below and choose your community programme experience.
"Being a three month Tare was an incredible experience. I learnt so much about India and myself. Working in the local community enabled me to embrace the culture and give something back to society while constantly learning."
Programme dates and fees
1 July - 28 July: 4 Week Programme - £1,288 for shared dorm room
8 August - 4 September: 4 Week Programme - £1,288 for shared dorm room
8 August - 16 October: 10 Week Programme - £3,010 for shared dorm room
19 September - 16 October: 4 Week Programme - £1,288 for shared dorm room
24 November - 21 December: 4 Week Programme - £1,288 for shared dorm room
- Twin room or shared dorm room
- Three meals daily, if eaten at Sangam or packed lunch
- Safe drinking water
- Laundry facilities
- 2 uniform punjabi suits (to be returned at the end of the programme)
- A Sangam t-shirt
- Participation in a Sangam event (for 10-week Tare)
- Community programme orientation
- Transportation to and from placement site
- Weekly Marathi language lessons
- Cultural learning and debriefing
- Participation in other Sangam programme activities during non-work hours, if desired
- Mediation with community partners, if needed
- Support of experienced staff at an established World Centre
- Re entry orientation at the end of your stay
- Transportation to and from Mumbai Airport
The programme fee does not include:
- Passport and visa fees
- Spending money
- Travel insurance
- Medical insurance and treatment
- Medicine (i.e. anti malarials)
A non refundable deposit of 10 per cent is required at the time of acceptance into the programme. The remainder of the fee is due one month before the programme starts.
Scholarships may be available. Please email us on email@example.com to enquire.
Dates don't work with your schedule?
We want as many people as possible to participate in this amazing programme. We know our schedules don't always work for everyone.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your available dates. We'll do our best to work around your schedule.