The Sangam community programme offers participants a unique, high quality volunteer experience. Tare means ‘star’ in Hindi. As part of the community programme, you become 'stars' of the Sangam family.
Apply to be a 'Tare'
Our Community Programme is open to all. However, you must be 18 or older and have basic conversational English. We also expect applicants to demonstrate maturity, reliability, independence, self motivation, flexibility, adaptability, commitment to service, learning and an openness to other cultures.
To apply, fill out the Tare Application Form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications and references are accepted all year. Check the programme dates below and choose your community programme experience.
"Being a three month Tare was an incredible experience. I learnt so much about India and myself. Working in the local community enabled me to embrace the culture and give something back to society while constantly learning."
Programme dates and fees
7 October - 3 November 2018: £1,288 for shared dorm room
7 January - 16 March 2019: £3,010 for shared dorm room
21 January - 9 February 2019: £966 for shared dorm room
9 February - 8 March 2019: £1,288 for shared dorm room
17 February - 14 March 2019: £1,288 for shared dorm room
5 July - 2 August 2019: £1,288 for shared dorm room
1 September - 30 November 2019: £3612 for shared dorm room
26 September - 24 October 2019: £1,288 for shared dorm room
1 November - 30 November: £1,288 for shared dorm room
6 January - 22 March 2020: £3,612 for shared dorm room
20 January - 16 February: £1,288 for shared dorm room
24 February - 22 March: £1,288 for shared dorm room
1 July - 29 July: £1,288 for shared dorm
2 September - 11 November: £3,010 for shared dorm room
14 September - 12 October: £1,288 for shared dorm room
14 October - 11 November: for shared dorm room
6 January - 1 March: £3,010 for shared dorm room
18 January - 15 February: £1,288 for shared dorm room
16 February - 16 March: £1,288 for shared dorm room
- Twin room or shared dorm room
- Three meals daily, if eaten at Sangam or packed lunch
- Safe drinking water
- Laundry facilities
- 2 uniform punjabi suits (to be returned at the end of the programme)
- A Sangam t-shirt
- Participation in a Sangam event (for 12-week Tare)
- Community programme orientation
- Transportation to and from placement site
- Weekly language lessons (for 12-week Tare)
- Cultural learning and debriefing
- Participation in other Sangam programme activities during non-work hours, if desired
- Mediation with community partners, if needed
- Support of experienced staff at an established World Centre
- Re entry orientation at the end of your stay
- Transportation to and from Mumbai Airport
The programme fee does not include:
- Passport and visa fees
- Spending money
- Travel insurance
- Medical insurance and treatment
- Medicine (i.e. anti malarials)
A non refundable deposit of 10 per cent is required at the time of acceptance into the programme. The remainder of the fee is due one month before the programme starts.
Scholarships may be available. Please email us on email@example.com to enquire.
Dates don't work with your schedule?
We want as many people as possible to participate in this amazing programme. We know our schedules don't always work for everyone. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your available dates. We'll do our best to work with your schedule.