The Sangam Community Programme offers participants a unique, high-quality volunteer experience. Tare means ‘star’ in Hindi. As part of the Community Programme, you become the 'stars' of the Sangam family.
Apply to be a 'Tare'
Our Community Programme is open to all. However, you must be 18 or older, have basic conversational English, and demonstrate maturity, reliability, independence, self-motivation, flexibility, adaptability, commitment to service and learning, and an openness to other cultures.
To apply, fill out the Tare Application Form, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications and references are accepted all year. Check the programme dates below and choose your Community Programme experience!
"Being a 3-month Tare was an incredible experience. I learnt so much about India and myself. Working in the local community enabled me to embrace the culture and give something back to society while constantly learning."
Programme dates and fees
7 January - 24 March 2018: £2,541 for shared dorm room
21 January - 17 February 2018: £1,078 for shared dorm room
25 February - 24 March 2018: £1,078 for shared dorm room
3 - 31 July 2018: £1,092 for shared dorm room
26 August - 3 November 2018: £2,520 for shared dorm room
9 September - 6 October 2018: £1,092 for shared dorm room
7 October - 3 November 2018: £1,092 for shared dorm room
7 January - 16 March 2019: £2,520 for shared dorm room
21 January - 9 February 2019: £819 for shared dorm room
17 February - 14 March 2019: £1,092 for shared dorm room
5 July - 2 August 2019: £1,092 for shared dorm room
1 September - 30 November 2019: £3024 for shared dorm room
26 September - 24 October 2019: £1,092 for shared dorm room
6 January - 22 March 2020: £3,024 for shared dorm room
20 January - 16 February: £1,092 for shared dorm room
24 February - 22 March: £1,092 for shared dorm room
- Twin room or shared dorm room
- 3 meals daily if eaten at Sangam or if packed lunch is taken to site
- Safe drinking water
- Laundry facilities
- 2 uniform punjabi suits (to be returned at the end of the programme)
- A Sangam T-shirt
- Participation in a Sangam event (for 12-week Tare)
- Community programme orientation
- Transportation to and from placement site
- Weekly language lessons (for 12-week Tare)
- Cultural learning and debriefing
- Participation in other Sangam programme activities during non-work hours, if desired
- Mediation with Community Partners, if needed
- Support of experienced staff at a well-established World Centre
- Re-entry orientation at the end of your stay
- Transportation to and from Mumbai Airport
The programme fee does not include:
- Passport and visa fees
- Spending money
- Travel insurance
- Medical insurance and treatment
- Medicine (i.e. anti-malarials)
A non-refundable deposit of 10% is required at the time of acceptance into the programme. The remainder of the fee is due 1 month prior to the start of the programme.
Scholarships may be available. Please email us on email@example.com to enquire.
Don't see dates that work with your schedule?
We want as many people as possible to participate in this amazing programme. We know our schedules don't always match with each individual that is interested. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your available dates. We'll do our best to work with your schedule!