Our Chalet Assistant
Live your dream - Volunteer at Our Chalet!
As an Our Chalet Assistant, you will help in running the daily life at the World Centre. International friends, Guiding and Scouting fun, outdoor challenge, new skills, and the experience of a lifetime are guaranteed!
When you submit your application you will receive an automated e-mail reply confirming receipt. If you do not receive this please check your junk/spam folder. If you are sure you have not received an automated reply please resubmit your application.
Our volunteer team will be in touch with applicants about next steps after the application deadline for the season applied for has closed. Upcoming deadlines are as follows:
Autumn 2020 - deadline is 1 February 2020
Season dates and application deadlines are as follows:
Please note: If you are outside of the EU, Swiss visa rules mean you must be aged under 35 at the time of volunteering and have not previously had a volunteer visa for Switzerland.
There is no upper age limit for holders of an EU passport. The minimum age for all volunteers is 18 years.
The benefits of volunteering at Our Chalet
- Free full board and lodging in staff accommodation
- Learning about different cultures, customs and countries
- Learning new life skills such as work ethics, running outdoor activities for guests, cooking, cleaning as well as learning new sports but most of all experiencing living for several months in a truly international environment infused with the spirit of Guiding and Scouting.
- Learning new Guide and Scout games and current WAGGGS topics to share at home
- Learning about self, about others, about the environment and needs of the society
- Support from staff team in planning and delivering personal projects
- Access to laundry and other facilities
- Wireless Internet access
- Living the dream in the Swiss Alps!
If you are selected as a volunteer, Our Chalet will provide you with all meals, accommodation, use of self-service laundry facilities and wireless internet access in designated areas on site for the duration of your stay. If you are worried about money, you should look into financial assistance options. You will need to cover your travel costs, souvenirs & things you want to do in your free time.
Our Chalet has a scholarship fund that you can apply to for travel assistance. Depending on where you are travelling from, we are usually able to offer travel scholarships of CHF 500 – 1000.
You may also be able to apply for assistance from your national Guide/Scout Organisation or local community organisations.
What does a volunteer do?
On a day to day basis, guest services will take up the majority of your work time. The number of programme days you will have during your season is entirely dependent on the number of guests or events that we have during that season.
We have more information about each volunteering season if you follow the links below:
Applicants holding the passport from any country from the Schengen area, can volunteer for longer than 3 months and can apply for two consecutive seasons. Please indicate your wish on the application.
- Over 18 years of age
- Member of World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) or World Organisation of Scout Movement (WOSM)
- Genuinely enjoys meeting and getting to know new people,
- Enjoys the international experience
- Practical, open minded, hardworking and able to use common sense
- Capable of leading groups on outdoor activities and evening programmes
- Capable of taking responsibility in delivering jobs and tasks assigned, to the highest standard,
- Patient, good team player and capable of working in an international team,
- Fluent in English communication skills (English is the working language of Our Chalet).
The application consists of two parts.
Part A is applicable to both Volunteer and Intern roles for all World Centres.
Part B is Centre specific.
When applying you are required to fill and submit both parts.
Documents are available here:
Please know, all volunteer offers and placements are subject to the applicant obtaining and retaining the required permission (visa or permit) to enter and work in Switzerland. Volunteers from countries of the European Union do not require a visa or permit to work as a volunteer in Our Chalet.
Are you curious what volunteers in each season are doing at Our Chalet? How does a day to day life look like?
Read their stories in the Chalet Chatter - Our Chalet Staff Blog
For enquiries and applications please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org