The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts is the official umbrella organization for 150 national Girl Guide and Girl Scout member organisations throughout the world. Our values-based, non-formal education programmes enable Girl Guides and Girl Scouts to develop life and leadership skills which empower them to become responsible and active citizens ready to speak out on issues affecting them, and to work together to change lives and build a better world.
Volunteerism is an essential part of the Girl Guide and Girl Scout educational method. Volunteering helps young people to: strengthen their motivation, commitment and sense of identity, develop core competencies in leadership, decision-making and other life skills, and gain intercultural and intergenerational understanding. It also provides them with opportunities to get actively involved in their local communities and form life-long habits of civic engagement.
For the past 100 years, Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting has supported the development of girls and young women as active citizens and “agents of change”. But just as importantly, WAGGGS has supported the development of the volunteers who lead our young people and contribute to the quality and development of our Movement.
Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting could not exist without our 1.5 million volunteer leaders who:
- Fill management and governance roles at local, national, regional and global levels
- Train and support adult members and volunteers
- Design and help deliver our educational programmes
- Provide service to the organization through involvement in external events, partnerships, campaigns and community projects
- Provide opportunities which contribute to Girl Guides and Girl Scouts’ self-development as active and responsible citizens
WAGGGS Vision for Volunteerism
With the Vision for Volunteerism WAGGGS wants to underline its deep involvement with and commitment to millions of volunteers worldwide and it does this by:
1) expressing the essential value of volunteers for the movement
2) stating the unique gain for the volunteers themselves of volunteering in WAGGGS
3) laying out what WAGGGS commits to offer its volunteers
4) communicating what WAGGGS aims at requiring from the volunteers
So why don’t you join today as a volunteer?