Do you want to help to write the 2024 World Thinking Day activity pack?
Deadline for application: Sunday 1st February
In 2024 we will mark the end of the triennium World Thinking Day theme with Our World Our Thriving Future. We will build on the two previous years where we have explored the environment in relation to gender equality (2022) and peace (2023) to now learn about the link between poverty and environmental instability.
‘Our World Our Thriving Future.’ will focus on the positive difference Girl Guides and Girl Scouts can make in the world as they explore the conditions that girls and young women need to thrive in an environmentally conscious world.
We are looking for an enthusiastic team to create the 2024 World Thinking Day activity pack. The World Thinking Day 2023 theme is Our World, Our Peaceful Future: The Environment Peace and Security. This is a unique opportunity for people with non-formal educational experiences to contribute to the development of WAGGGS’ flagship activity pack connecting the worldwide sisterhood of Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting.
The writers’ team is responsible for developing and reviewing the activities and narrative of the activity pack. As a team you will ensure the activities fit the WTD educational framework and that the activities result in the learning outcomes being achieved for participants aged 5 - 18. The educational framework and the learning outcomes will be shared during your onboarding process. Team members will demonstrate creativity, work collaboratively and have a keen interest in developing exciting learning activities.
Time Commitment and Availability
Team members will be expected to participate in regular team meetings and self-directed or small group work between March and July 2023 with most work taking place between April and June pulling together and adapting ideas and activities collected from around the world to make them relevant to the theme.
As a member of the international World Thinking Day writers team you:
- Will be required to work flexibly and effectively in an online space with people from different cultures.
- Will be working together via regular online meetings and smaller working groups
- Are expected to commit approximately 2 hours a week
- Need to be competent and comfortable using a computer and different digital platforms to work with the team
- Will be encouraged to pilot some activities from the pack with your local group
Why should you apply?
- To be part of creating WAGGGS' most anticipated educational resource.
- To work collaboratively with and learn from a vibrant group from across the globe.
- To share your creativity with the worldwide Movement.
Training will be given in the WAGGGS leadership mindsets model, educational framework and learning outcomes and support given to develop programme materials that meet the needs of a global audience.
We are looking for people who...
- Have a keen interest or expertise in developing high-quality, learner-led non-formal educational programs and resources
- Have reliable internet access and are confident using digital platforms and programs
- Have experience working in diverse teams
- Have competent English language skills
- Are an active member of Girl Guiding/ Girl Scouting
- Are creative thinkers and writers
- Are flexible, willing to learn from others and open-minded
- Are able to work to tight schedules
- Are passionate about attention to detail
We would like it if you...
- Have experience working directly with young people
- Have an interest and skills in visual design
- Understand the WAGGGS leadership model
Can communicate effectively in another WAGGGS languages (Arabic, French, or Spanish)
How to apply?
If you feel that you have the essential things we are looking for, please submit the following:
- Either a two-minute video or letter which explains:
- Why you are interested in this role
- What skills you will bring to the team
- Your thoughts on what makes a great learner-led activity.
2. A sample activity or idea that suits the 2024 Theme – Our World Our Thriving Future. Include the learning outcome of the activity and make sure the activity is REAL – Relevant, Engaging, Accessible and Learner-Led.
Send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘WTD 2024 Application’
Deadline for application: Sunday 1st February
We welcome applications from anyone who feels that they would be a great addition to the team. We will respond to every person who applies.
Should you be shortlisted; you will be invited for an interview during the weeks of 13th and 20th February.
We will confirm if you have been selected to be a member of the 2024 World Thinking Day writers’ team by the end of February 2023 with induction activities starting at the beginning of March.
Questions? Doubts? Need encouragement?
Please don’t hesitate to contact Josephine Oates (Staff Lead) or Mel Reoch (Volunteer Lead)