WAGGGS has a strong tradition in, and commitment to, developing leaders at an international and national levels. Leadership support, resources and events are available for Member Organisations and leaders at all levels to assist with ongoing development.
WAGGGS' approach to developing leaders
Leadership development starts from when a girl becomes a Brownie and continues throughout her journey within the Movement. This provides girls and women with skills and opportunities to lead patrols, units, committees and national associations. Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting provides opportunities for members to experience, learn and develop leadership through a variety of programmes and activities.
WAGGGS' leadership principles:
- Continuous learning
- Shared and distributed leadership
- Collaborative working models
- A supportive environment
- A critical approach to the status quo
- Creative and analytical thinking.
Leadership development events
Empowering young women to become leaders is at the heart of what we do. We run two international leadership events for young women. These events are a platform for our members to connect with others, develop their practices and feel empowered to change the world.
Our international leadership events are:
The Helen Storrow Seminar, Our Chalet World Centre, Switzerland
The Juliette Low Seminar, multiple locations
WAGGGS' definition of leadership
WAGGGS defines leadership as:
- A person who cultivates and nurtures group dynamics and empowers others to take on leadership
- The process of influence within a group which helps achieve its set goals
- The relationship which defines and impacts the life and actions of the individual and group.
Working with Member Organisations
The WAGGGS leadership development team provides advice and support to Member Organisations on building their leadership capacity. This includes:
- Succession planning
- Developing and strengthening national boards
- Young women’s development
- Coaching and mentoring
- Team development
- Facilitation skills
- Personal development