Travelling to Our Chalet
We encourage you to lower your carbon footprint by travelling to Our Chalet on public transport.
Arriving by air and train
The closest international airports are Bern, Geneva, Zurich, Basel-Euroairport and Milan (Italy). From these airports it takes two to four hours to reach Our Chalet. To plan your travel within Switzerland visit the Swiss rail system (SBB) website, where you can create your itinerary, find out about discounts, travel passes and purchase your tickets. Our Train Travel Advice document contains a step-by-step guide to planning a journey and buying tickets on the SBB website.
Before you book your travel check here to see if special discounted Guide/Scout train tickets can help your group save money.
From any airport or border you need to catch a train to Frutigen station.
- In Frutigen you transfer to a red AFA bus to arrive at Adelboden Oey bus stop, Our Chalet’s closest bus stop. Trains run regularly several times an hour from larger cities and airports.
The AFA bus in Frutigen is connected to the train schedule and located only a few steps from the train platforms.
Please note there are many bus stops between Frutigen and Adelboden, the closest bus stop to Our Chalet is Adelboden Oey and the name of each stop will be displayed in the bus as you travel. You can purchase the ticket on the bus, at the train station counter, from the ticket machine, or on the internet.
- You must pre-order the luggage pick up from Adelboden Oey bus stop to Our Chalet. This service is available within the reception working hours, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Please inform us at least 48 hours in advance with the exact date and time of the bus arrival at Adelboden Oey bus stop. Cost of /roundtrip / return transfer is CHF 5 per person for non-event guests.
- In case you are arriving outside the reception working hours or outside of AFA bus running times (05.30am - 23.30pm) you can contact AFA Taxi (tel: +41 79 849 50 41) and order a pick up.
- If you wish to walk from the Adelboden Oey bus stop there is approximately 1 km uphill walk which can take between 20-40 minutes. From the bus stop follow the sign posts that will take you to Our Chalet.
- If you are travelling with a group of 10 or more guests, especially in peak winter and summer seasons you are required to inform AFA bus company of your travel between Frutigen and Adelboden at least 24 hours in advance by emailing email@example.com
Arriving by car
Switzerland is linked to Europe's extensive motorway network.
If you are driving from:
- Austria, Germany or Eastern Switzerland
Follow motorway A1 Zurich-Bern, motorway A6 Bern-Spiez, main road for Frutigen-Adelboden.
- Germany, Northern France or Northern Switzerland
Follow motorway A2 Basel-Bern, motorway A6 Bern-Spiez, main road for Frutigen-Adelboden.
- Southern France or Western Switzerland
Follow motorway A1 Geneva-Lausanne, motorway A12 Lausanne-Bern, motorway A6 Bern-Spiez, main road for Frutigen-Adelboden.
- Italy or Southern Switzerland
Follow Domodossola-Iselle-Simplon-Brig-Goppenstein, car transfer Lötschberg (Goppenstein-Kandersteg), main road Frutigen-Adelboden.
After passing the main ‘Welcome to Adelboden’ sign, turn left to Our Chalet at Adelboden Oey - this is the main intersection (with a small roundabout / circle / rotary) just before the final ascent into the village. There is a sign for Our Chalet at this intersection just beyond the large neon sign for the ski lifts.
Turn left again almost immediately (just after the petrol station) and drive up a steep hill. Follow the signposts, taking the right fork onto Hohliebeweg and then the first left onto Our Chalet’s driveway.
Please note that limited parking is available on site at Our Chalet. The local roads and driveway are very steep and narrow so are unsuitable for many large vehicles and in winter months will be impassable to vehicles that do not have 4 wheel drive. If arriving in winter please contact Our Chalet so we can advise you of the latest road conditions here in the valley.
If you are traveling in a large vehicle/coach, please contact the Our Chalet office for information about alternative parking arrangements.
Car travel tips
If you are arriving from a neighbouring country and plan to use the motorways, you are required to pay a motorway tax. A ‘vignette’ can be purchased at the border entering Switzerland. More information on rules of the road and travel is available from the Swiss Touring Club.
Please note that during the winter it is advisable to have winter tyres on your vehicle and essential to carry snow chains. It is a good idea to practice fitting them to your tyres before your trip.
Several mountain passes close during the winter due to snow levels, so please check what roads are open when you plan your driving route. Also check current conditions of roads immediately before you leave on your trip.
Bon voyage and see you soon!