Juliette Low Seminar
Since 1932 we have been providing this inter-cultural, inspirational and international experience. It builds friendships across borders and helps young women step outside of their comfort zones. This event is all about empowering participants with the leadership practices and mindsets they need to succeed.
JULIETTE LOW SEMINAR (JLS) 2022
The JLS 2022 will empower up to 500 young women (aged 18 to 30) around the world with the leadership practices, global perspectives and a peer support network to take the lead in their lives and act on their values to bring positive social change to their world.
The JLS is informed by the WAGGGS Global Strategy 2022-2023.
In 2022 the JLS will break barriers to leadership by supporting young women to broaden their perspectives, lead for impact and create pathways for girls to be heard.
500 participants in the 2022 JLS will travel online on a new and exciting leadership journey in a safe and brave space as they embed the WAGGGS Leadership Model in their daily lives. They will break barriers to leadership for themselves and provide opportunities for 50,000 girls aged 12+ to raise their voices and together create change in their communicates and our world.
Each step of the journey will give girls and young women opportunities to gain confidence, believe in themselves and feel a strong sense of international connection.
- The JLS will launch on International Day of the Girl on the 11th of October 2022
- There will be an online learning phase of the programme taken at participants own pace following the launch and continuing through November 2022
- The JLS event dates are the 2nd to the 11th of December 2022
- 100 Girls Projects will be undertaken by all participants in 2023 with girls aged 12+
- JLS Mentors will support all participants in patrols from October 2022 through to the completion of their 100 Girls Projects in 2023
- We expect MOs to support participants with their 100 Girls Projects
- The number of MOs that each MO can send to the JLS is based on membership numbers
- The event fee for the JLS is based on the WAGGGS wealth bands
Leadership Events Lead
The 2019 JLS
Using feedback from Girl Guides and Girls Scouts all over the world, we decided to change the way we deliver our largest leadership development event, and offer one event this triennium (2017-2020) for more people than every before.
In 2019, we completed part 1 of the 2019 JLS pilot project, we delivered; one programme that utilised technology through a team of over 100 global facilitators across 18 different global locations, all taking place at the same time. This new approach allowed the different global locations - called hubs - to connect with each other over the internet and brought the JLS programme to hundreds of participants. We took the best parts of the JLS and made them bigger.
The 2019 JLS in numbers
To find out more click the link under the icons to read the event report.
The 2019 JLS was divided into two parts:
PART 1 - Participants attend a JLS hub and experience the programme with peers from around the world.
PART 2 - Using this new knowledge and network, participants then give at least 100 girls aged 12+ a space to practise leadership through the 100 Girls Project. The IMPACT REPORT from the 100 Girls Projects can be found HERE.
If you have any questions you can reach the team at email@example.com.
How was the 2019 JLS different?
- Up to 1000 participant places were offered to Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting Associations, in comparison to 60 places in previous years.
- Rather than various post event projects, all participants were trained and supported to deliver an adapted version of one single project; the 100 Girls Project.
- A co-educational JLS programme was trialled in France and Poland.
- The participant age range was extended by four years, to include members aged 18 - 32.
- A programme was delivered in every WAGGGS region and in Arabic, English, French, Mandarin, Spanish, Swahili or Thai.
Among all the leadership training I've been to, this is by far the best ever that made a huge impact on me. It creates a safe space for girls to grow without any judgement, and develops our potential based on our own leadership journey. Now that I'm fired up with the guiding spirit, to the youths of Malaysia, look out because you are going to see that girl guiding will provide you an incredible journey.
#JLS2019 hub locations:
- AUSTRALIA hosted by Girl Guides Australia (ASIA PACIFIC REGION)
- ENGLAND hosted by Pax Lodge, World Centre (EUROPE REGION)
- FRANCE hosted by Fédération du Scoutisme Français (EUROPE REGION)
- INDIA hosted by Sangam, World Centre (ASIA PACIFIC REGION)
- IRELAND hosted by Irish Girl Guides (EUROPE REGION)
- MADAGASCAR hosted by Skotisma Zazavavy Eto Madagasikara (AFRICA REGION)
- MALDIVES hosted by Maldives Girl Guides Association (ASIA PACIFIC REGION)
- MEXICO hosted by Our Cabaña, World Centre (WESTERN HEMISPHERE REGION)
- OMAN hosted by Oman Scouts and Guides (ARAB REGION)
- NIGERIA hosted by The Nigerian Girl Guides Association (AFRICA REGION)
- PERU hosted by Asociación Nacional de Guías Scouts del Perú (WESTERN HEMISPHERE REGION)
- POLAND hosted by The Polish Scouting and Guiding Association (EUROPE REGION)
- SWITZERLAND hosted by Our Chalet, World Centre (EUROPE REGION)
- TAIWAN hosted by Girl Scouts of Taiwan (ASIA PACIFIC REGION)
- TANZANIA hosted by Kusafiri, World Centre in partnership with Kenya Girl Guides and The Tanzania Girl Guides Association (AFRICA REGION)
- THAILAND hosted by Girl Guides (Girl Scouts) Association of Thailand (ASIA PACIFIC REGION)
- UNITED KINGDOM hosted by Girlguiding (EUROPE REGION)
- UNITED STATES hosted by Girl Scouts USA (WESTERN HEMISPHERE REGION)
Volunteer with us
If you want to volunteer for with us, become part of our volunteer resource pool.