The Global Action Theme ‘together we can change our world’ is the framework for WAGGGS’ work from 2008 to 2015 and all areas and levels of the Movement contribute to it. The Millennium Development Goal (MDG) programmes provide opportunities for girls and young women to learn, engage and have a voice on issues that affect their communities, countries and the world.
WAGGGS' MDG programmes are:
MDG 1: Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger
MDG 3: promote gender equality and empower women.
70 percent of the world’s 1.2 billion people living in poverty are women, and 45 million girls around the world are being denied an education. WAGGGS believes that ‘empowering girls will change our world’.
MDG 6: Combat HIV and AIDS, Malaria and other disease
MDG 7: Ensure Environmental Sustainability
Each WAGGGS’ MDG programme includes:
- latest news and hot tips
- non-formal educational programmes
- related global events and seminars in WAGGGS regions and World Centres
- WAGGGS campaigns and partner campaigns
- useful documents, like for example position statements, guidelines and toolkits
- WAGGGS partners at global level
- what WAGGGS and Member Organizations are doing
The MDG programme will:
- Ensure the youth voice, especially the girl voice, is heard and contributes to the MDGs debate
- Influence decision-makers on issues girls and young women care about
- Raise awareness and mobilise action amongst WAGGGS’ 10 million members and 50million community members to contribute to achieving the MDGs
- Deliver results from grass root projects that contribute to achieving the MDGs
- Provide girls and young women the opportunity to become leaders and agents of change
- Develop Member Organization and individual member capacity and expertise to better contribute to achieving the MDGs
- Actively contribute to our partners’ campaigns to ensure the broadest possible engagement and to establish relationships with partners to develop ongoing MDG related projects and programmes
- Increase volunteerism
What is advocacy?
Advocacy for WAGGGS means to influence people to take decisions that will improve our lives and the lives of others.
In detail this means:
The WAGGGS Advocacy toolkit is designed to enable Member Organizations and leaders to introduce or develop an advocacy campaign in their Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting groups and to help influence decision-makers to improve the lives of girls and young women. You can download an electronic copy for free in English, French or Spanish.
For further information or to learn how you can get involved, contact us directly on email@example.com or call the Communications and Advocacy team on 020 7794 1181