Girl Scouts of Korea
Girl Guiding introduced in Korea
Number of Girl Guides in 2013
Phone / Fax
+8227336801/2/3/4/5/6 / +8227383013
On my honour, I will try: 1.To do my duty to God and my country, 2.To help other people at all times, 3.To keep the Girl Scout Law.
Korea Girl Scout Law
- A Girl Scout’s honour is to be trusted.
- A Girl Scout does her best.
- A Girl Scout takes the initiative in helping others.
- A Girl Scout is a sister to all.
- A Girl Scout is courteous and kind.
- A Girl Scout loves nature and respects all living things.
- A Girl Scout keeps the rules.
- A Girl Scout smiles under all difficulties.
- A Girl Scout makes good use of her time and avoids wastefulness.
- A Girl Scout is pure in thought, in word and in dees.
1.To do my duty to God and my country, 2.To help other people especially family at home at all times.
- A Brownie respects an elder’s opinion.
- A Brownie does her best to keep sound body and soul.
- A Brownie does her work cheerfully under any circumstances.
Development of the Movement
Girl Scouting started in Korea in 1946, but its expansion was temporarily halted by the Korean war in 1950, even though girls and leaders actively joined in relief works and service activity. After the War and after making great efforts to organize its system, decide uniform and badge and publish handbooks, Girl Scouts of Korea became a Full Member of WAGGGS in 1963. In 1969 the national headquarters building was completed and the Scouting Promotion Bill, which facilitated the organization of troops in schools, was passed in the National Assembly.
Since 1977, extension troops have been operating in Korea for girls with special needs, and a Disabled Supporting Fund was established in 1988. In 1989 a new branch, Mindlrae, was established for pre-school children. At the dawn of the new Millennium, Girl Scouts of Korea have in place initiatives to improve the position of girls and women and contribute to Korean society by taking the lead in activities, especially those concerned with the environment, peace and education for girls and young women. Furthermore, GSK has made great efforts to provide opportunities for girls and young women to train to become world citizens through various global activities.