WAGGGS' UN teams
The UN teams are made up of volunteers who ensure that girls and young women have their voices heard at the highest level. UN Team members represent WAGGGS at UN meetings, on committees and at major international conferences. They deliver WAGGGS messages and implement its advocacy strategy at the UN, as well as raise the profile of WAGGGS as an organization advocating on issues important to girls and young women.
They also gather information that informs WAGGGS advocacy strategy, identifying key trends and opportunities at the UN, as well as making important introductions. They work with other NGO partners and manage relationships with key UN agencies. They negotiate Memorandums of Understanding and manage project implementations.
WAGGGS has six teams of UN representatives in
- New York
Each UN team consists of up to seven WAGGGS’ representatives at the UN and trainees. WAGGGS has also a WAGGGS ECOSOC liaison person (WELP) in Bangkok. In the Europe Region WAGGGS is represented by an External Representatives Pool on European Level.
Would you like to become a WAGGGS’ representative at the UN?
If you live or study in one of the six UN cities (Geneva, Nairobi, New York, Paris, Rome and Vienna) and have Girl Guiding/Girl Scouting experience or an interest in issues that affect girls and young women, you could join a UN Team. What about WELPS, they don’t have to live in one of the six cities.
As a WAGGGS’ representative at the United Nations, you will
UN team, Geneva
The UN team, Geneva includes:
- Margot Hill - trainee
The UN has a major office in Geneva and the UN team, Geneva works closely with the many UN agencies based there.
The offices of several major programmes and funds are based in Geneva including:
- UNHCR – Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- UNAIDS - Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS
Two specialized UN Agencies are based in Geneva:
- WHO – World Health Organization
- ILO – International Labour Organization
The Human Rights Council is also based in Geneva through the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.
The UN team, Geneva also works closely with:
- Conference on Non-Governmental Organizations (CONGO), which has also has offices in New York and Vienna
- NGO committee on the Rights of the Child
UN team, Nairobi
The UN team, Nairobi includes:
- Catherine Nyambala - team coordinator
- Anne Onunga
- Claudia Kabui
- Mutinta Munyati
- Trixie Ogot
- Pauline Onunga Akello
The UN has a major office in Nairobi, concerned with environmental issues.
UN team, Nairobi works closely with:
- UN Environment Programme (UNEP)
- UN Centre for Human Settlements (UN-Habitat)
UN team, New York
The UN team, New York includes:
- Pat Scharlin
- Diane Paravazian
- Mary Jane Meconi
- Francesca Socolick
The UN team, New York works closely with the many UN agencies based in New York and with the Division for the Advancement of Women.
The UN Headquarters are in New York and meetings of the General Assembly and the Economic and Social Council are held here.
The offices of several major programmes and funds are based in New York including:
- UNDP – United Nations Development Programme
- UNIFEM – United Nations Development Fund for Women
- UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund
- UNICEF – United Nations Children’s Fund
The UN team, New York also works closely with the Division for the Advancement of Women and attends meetings of the following functional Commissions, which are based in New York:
- Commission on the Status of Women
- Commission for Social Development
- Commission on Sustainable Development
UN team Paris
The UN team, Paris includes:
- Cecilia Grimaldi - team coordinator
- Marie Leclerc
- Marie-Louise Cusack - trainee
- Fatma Khorchani - trainee
- Brigitte de Panthou - special representative
- Martine Levy - special representative
The UN team, Paris works closely with the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) to establish a permanent partnership.
The UN team, Paris also attends meetings of the:
- UNESCO’s Commission "Education for all"
- Programmatic Commission on Youth
The UN team, Paris aims to participate in all major UNESCO events and to involve young women in consultation processes.
UN team, Rome
The UN team, Rome includes:
- Masha Volodina - team coordinator
- Noemi Ruzzi
- Anna Rappazzo
- Giusi Cavallaro
- Olivia Graham - trainee
- Daniela Roggero - trainee
- Millie Kneeland - trainee
- Alessandra Tasca - trainee
- Luisa Juarez - trainee
The UN team, Rome works closely with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO), which is based in Rome.
The UN team, Rome also works with the International Alliance against Hunger, a group of international organizations, food consumers, farmers and scientists, all working together to eradicate hunger.
The UN team, Rome has an on-going joint collaboration with the following FAO divisions/departments:
- Nutrition and Consumer Protection
- Gender and Population Divison
- Legal Office
- Technical Co-operation Department
- International Allience against Hunger
- Feedings Minds Fighting Hunger Initiative
- Tele Food
The UN team, Rome works closely with the International Alliance against Hunger, created as a follow-up to the FAO World Food Summits of 1996 and 2002. The FAO was able to reunite the efforts of all the UN Rome-based agencies dealing with the issues of food and nutrition, namely:
- WFP (World Food Program)
- IFAD (International Fund for Agricultural Development)
- IPGRI (International Plant and Genetic Resources Institute)
The team collaborates with civil society organizations by attending meetings of the Ad Hoc Group of International Non Governmental Organizations (INGO) representatives at the FAO and has contacts with the International NGO Planning Committee for Food Sovereignty (IPC).
UN team, Vienna
The UN team, Vienna includes:
- Jutta Mosbach - team coordinator
- Ketevan Siradze
The UN team, Vienna attends meetings of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
The UN team, Vienna also works closely with:
- NGO Committee on the Status of Women
- NGO Committee on Peace
- NGO Committee on the Family
WAGGGS ECOSOC liaison person (WELP)
Since WAGGGS has general consultative status with the UN’s Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) the WELP ensures a productive and stable cooperation. WAGGGS plans to install WELPs in each of our regions.
WELP for the Asia Pacific Region:
- Valaikorn Phromyothi
The WELP works closely with the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia ant the Pacific (UNESCAP) in Bangkok.