Women leaders needed to develop future women leaders of Africa
13 February 2014
If you have extensive leadership, business or entrepreneurship experience and are looking for a chance to pass on your skills and knowledge to young women, we would love to hear from you.
The World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) via their Fifth World Centre Pilot project and the Africa Region Committee are organizing an innovative Leadership Training for young women from the Africa Region in Lagos, Nigeria from 23 to 29 April 2014. This event will bring together 32 participants (aged up to 35) from across the WAGGGS 32 Member Organizations in Africa (half French speaking and half English speaking).
As part of the leadership training we are seeking 10 mentors from across the globe with extensive experience in social, economic and political leadership. We are particularly interested in mentors who:
- have experience in social, economic and political leadership, professional or volunteer based
- have experience in entrepreneurship and/or Change Management
- have either English or French written skills as well as spoken
- have excellent people skills
- commitment to participate fully in the seminar and to:
- contribute with personal experiences as motivation to young participants
- maintain the mentoring relationship created for at least one year or during the implementation time for the participant’s project
- contribute to the funding of the participant’s project during the implementation period
- ability and willingness to participate in an online preparation webinar on WAGGGS leadership approach, and an online introduction to WAGGGS’ mentoring policy.
- willingness to share own experiences in a mentoring relationship with a young leader with respect for the differences and challenges that can appear – for up to 18 months.
- able to self-fund to attend this event. (Approximate cost to be advised)
The objectives of the event will be to :
- Develop leadership skills of young women in a multicultural and intergenerational context in order to respond to the needs of the members of their association and of the Region.
- Participate in activities and workshops focusing on leadership, personal development, their understanding of leadership, management, entrepreneurship and personal development
- Discuss and share experiences on how to face organizational challenges and evolutionary trends in own society
- Learn to promote the participation of women within society, the active citizenship, democracy and the contribution of young people around the Millennium Development Goals (MDG),
- Develop ideas and processes to support a positive change in own association and society.
- Review, Design and organize existing and new projects on leadership development in their Member Organizations.
- Achieve learning and exchange knowledge about leadership in different sectors in partnerships with adult women/mentors
As well as attending the event Mentors will be invited to participate in WAGGGS E-Learning programme on leadership development. Mentors do not need to have previous experience of the Girl Guiding/Girl Scouting movement.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity please contact Ann Brookes, Fund Development Director (email@example.com)/ Morwenna Moseley, Fifth World Centre Pilot Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 1 March 2014.